The Center supports your racial/ethnic identity through our mission, values, policies and programs. As you pursue your academic studies, Center staff are here to help you identify and integrate your skills and abilities to explore careers, participate in internships, and acquire post-graduation opportunities in environments that embrace your identity.
Center staff is here to assist you in your search for supportive workplace environments. Below are some questions that may help you assess an organization's climate, culture, and resources:
- Do you see diverse populations in the organization’s literature, website, social media, etc.?
- What percentage of the executives/managers are multi-ethnic?
- Does the organization provide mentors or programs to advance your career?
- Is there a race/ethnicity Employee Resource Groups (ERG)?
Staff members within the Center are available if you wish to discuss how these issues may impact your job search, and they can help you clarify personal values and career goals. Login to Careers4Terps to request an appointment and discuss these issues with a career advisor.
Campus Programs and Resources
The Center works in collaboration with other campus offices that provide academic support, help you to develop and expand your awareness of your racial/ethnic identity, and advocate for you while teaching you how to navigate the campus climate. The following campus offices can be supportive resources:
- Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Education (OMSE)
- Multicultural Involvement and Community Advocacy (MICA)
- Nyumburu Cultural Center
- Office of Diversity & Inclusion (ODI)
Previous Center programs have included:
- Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Series: Career Readiness and Professional Preparation for Success! - A preparation series in collaboration with MICA, Nyumburu and OMSE.
- Connect NOW Fall Meetup: Diversity & Inclusion Internships & More - Provides multi-ethnic students with an opportunity to meet with employers and learn industry insights and tips for success.
- Making a Good Impression – Etiquette: Before, During and After Dinner - An event that provides instructions on proper professional interaction and protocol before, during, and after a dinner or other formal/informal meeting.
- Maryland Diversity- Employment information and resources including job opportunities and career events focused on Maryland’s diverse population.
- DiversityInc - A source for information on diversity and inclusion issues in the workplace.
- INROADS- An organization that recruits, prepares and places talented underrepresented students in internships with corporations, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations.
- Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities (HACU) - Targets Hispanic students for access to and preparation for high quality career opportunities. A key program is The HACU National Internship Program (HNIP) which offers extensive leadership training in conjunction with internship opportunities for college students with federal agencies or major corporations.
- National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP) Career Center - An online community fostering connections between Asian and minority professional talent and companies across the globe.
- Native-American Village - Valuable information on career opportunities as well as the tools needed to succeed in America’s workplace as a Native American student.