Employer events provide an opportunity to educate students about your organization and its opportunities, while also facilitating networking between the students and organization representatives. Employer events can take many forms and the right event type for you will be based upon a variety of factors including:
- Organizational goals.
- Time of academic year (please take a moment to check the academic calendar for important semester dates).
- Target audience (in terms of class levels, majors etc).
The Center encourages employers think creatively about student engagement through events. Though historically the “information session” with a powerpoint deck has been the most common form of event, it does not always prove to be the most beneficial. In general, the more interactive an event is, or the more insight it provides into working in a particular field (rather than for a specific employer), the more likely it is that there will be a better level of student engagement.
Review some of the Event Options:
- Information Booth (in the Student Union food court)
- Lunch & Learn
- Office Hours
- Tech Talk or Product Demo
- Pre-Night (exclusively for students interviewing the next day)
- Simulation or Hack-a-Thon
- Educational Workshop
- Information Session
We also always encourage new employers to consider participating in one of our existing Center programs/events, such as a career fairs, networking nights, meetups or career panels, as a way to engage students who may be interested in a wider diversity of opportunities.
If you think an employer event is right for you, please consider the following logistics: time, location, catering, and publicity.
To request a date for an employer event, please click here.
- Employer events are typically scheduled during late afternoon (3-5pm) or early evening (5-7pm) for 1-2 hours.
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are the best days of the week for events.
- The time of your event and expected attendance will affect where the event can be held.
- Remember to check the academic calendar to help you find a suitable date!
Reserve a room in the Center:
- Free of charge
- Events prior to 5 pm subject to room availability
- On and off-campus catering options can be delivered
Reserve a room in the Adele H. Stamp Student Union:
- Fees associated with all room rentals and audio/visual equipment
- Variety of space sizes and options available
- More flexible timing options available
- Only Stamp catering options are allowed
- Cancellations must be made in writing at least ten business days prior to the date of the event, to avoid additional fees
- Students enjoy free food! Advertise the availability of food on event promotional materials
- Your event confirmation email will contain a link to catering options.
- Please note: Events hosted in the Stamp Student Union, are limited to Stamp Student Union catering only.
Marketing and Publicity:
The Center will publicize your event:
On our website events calendar
We encourage your organization to:
- Provide marketing materials that we may distribute to our campus partners and various student organizations
- Contact the student organizations, newspapers to place an ad about your visit
- Invite students that have applied for you position to the event
- Search through resume books to invite highly qualified students directly (check out our page on resume books here)
- Spread the word through social media by tweeting at us (@umdcareercenter) or via the relevant student organizations/departments
Although we strongly encourage students to attend, we are unable to compel attendance. Be aware that students may have scheduling conflicts and prior commitments (such as jobs, classes, sports practice, and club meetings) that prevent attending sessions of interest.