Practicing for your interviews will make all the difference in how you perform when the actual time comes. Though you are the expert of you, anticipating the questions you might receive and rehearsing the key skills and experiences you want to articulate is no small feat. We offer a variety of opportunities for you to practice your interview skills ahead of the big day.
InterviewStream is an easy-to-use online program that uses on-screen, videotaped interview scenarios to allow you to practice your answers to common interview questions. This is a great option for first-time practice and it can be done from the comfort of your residence hall. All you need is a laptop or tablet with a webcam and strong internet connection. You can record yourself answering interview questions and then watch a recording of yourself. You can critique yourself or share with family and friends for feedback as well.
How to use Interview Stream:
- Log in and create an account
- Click the “Conduct an Interview” button
- Choose between different interview options
- Created for Me – Allows you to practice a preselected set of interview questions
- Custom Interview– Allows you to select up to 10 specific questions you want to practice
- Once you’ve completed the interview, watch your interview
One-On-One Appointments with Career Center staff
Once you have applied to positions and have a strong idea of the types of interviews that might be in your future, the Center welcomes you to come in and meet with a member of our staff to practice interviewing in-person. These one-on-one practice interviews are most effective, when you can share the name of an organization and position description or have a particular industry in mind.
How to sign up for a mock interview with a Center staff member:
- Log into your Careers4Terps account
- From your right side of your homepage, click the “Request a career advising appointment” link
- Select “Mock interview” from the appointment type field and select the date and time that works best for you
- Email the "Counselor" your resume (and position description or industry you are preparing for, if possible).
Mock Interview Practice with Employers
Employers often volunteer their time to assist UMD students with their mock interview preparation. This is a great opportunity for you to hear first hand what employers are seeking from candidates! Check our events calendar to see upcoming dates for mock interviews.