The University of Maryland’s University Career Center has created this statement to demonstrate our firm commitment to your privacy. This document explains how we gather, use, and protect your information.
We are committed to maintaining your privacy and protecting your personal information. To that end, the University Career Center:
- Only allows access to information in databases when individuals have agreed to release such data by participating in University Career Center programs, submitting application materials, placing a resume in a resume book, or asking that credentials be forwarded on their behalf
- Only shares the resumes of individuals who have given us permission to do so
- Does not provide employers access to view information or resumes directly from the University Career Center database, Careers4Terps
- Does not release your personal information unless you request this, by specifically making your information available to others
- Does not sell personal contact information of students, alumni, employers or anyone else with an account on the Careers4Terps system
When you use the Careers4Terps database you will note that we collect some personal information. We adhere to the University privacy statement pertaining to the collection of personal information on official university websites and collect information only for the following purposes:
- Authentication: We require you to use a unique login and password to use our services. NOTE: Neither our staff nor the staff of our NACElink partners has the ability to access your password.
- Identification: Some forms on our website ask for personal information such as your name and e-mail address. Such information is voluntary unless otherwise noted on the form. NOTE: If you do not provide contact information it may be impossible for us to respond personally to your requests.
- Reports and analysis: We may seek your voluntary participation in surveys used to review and improve our services and/or provide reports to University officials. This information is used in aggregate form, and does not personally identify you.
- Statistical Usage: Some pages on our website may record your computer's IP address and information about your Web browser, in order to provide statistical data on the use of this website.
We contract with the NACElink Network to provide specific services to University of Maryland, College Park students and alumni. The NACElink Network is an alliance among the National Association of Colleges and Employers, DirectEmployers Association, and Symplicity Corporation.
Together they comprise a national recruiting network and suite of Web-based recruiting and career services automation tools serving the needs of colleges, employers, and job candidates.
Data we collect resides on NACElink Network servers.
The privacy policies of NACElink can be found at: www2.nacelink.com/
Those of Symplicity can be found at: http://www.symplicity.com/privacy_policy/
Those of DirectEmployers can be found at: http://www.directemployers.org/privacy-terms/
We Don't Sell Your Contact Information
While using this site, you may choose to submit personal information through email or online forms. We will use this information to process your requests. But we will not intentionally sell, share, or distribute your personal information to third parties, except as required by law or university policy.
Statistical Logs Kept
The University uses reporting programs to collect data about visitor traffic to our site. We do not attempt to personally identify visitors. Instead we collect data to analyze in aggregate to determine trends and improve our sites. Here are some examples of the types of data we routinely collect:
- Internet address of computer
- Browser type
- Referring web page
- Date, time & duration of visit
- Cookies Used to Preserve Data
Security Programs Running
We have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, to assist in maintaining data security, and to assist in correctly using the information we collect online. We do not intentionally release personal information gleaned from these programs to others, except as required by law.
Security Precautions You Should Take
Although we make every effort to secure our networks, the University cannot guarantee privacy of online communications. Use discretion in providing information in online classes, chatrooms, or other open forums on the Web. If you use Careers4Terps to access personal records, be sure to "lock up" when you leave by exiting the site AND closing your browser. Otherwise, the next person to use the computer may see your information.
Alternate Ways to Submit Information
You have a choice about whether to provide personal information online. For other options, contact the site manager and learn how you can provide information by phone, mail, fax or in person.
Other Sites Have Different Policies
This site contains links to other independently managed University sites. Some may use information for purposes other than stated above; be sure to read their separate privacy statements. University sites also contain links to sites outside the university; these sites may have their own privacy statement--or none at all. We urge you to exercise caution when providing personal data to any site. Check their policies and contact them if you have questions.
Protecting Children's Privacy
We encourage parents to explore our website with their children. If we learn that a child under age 13 has provided personally identifiable information to our sites, we will promptly remove this from our files. For more on children's privacy rights, read about the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act at the FTC's website.
Employment opportunities posted on Careers4Terps come not only from local sources, but from across the country and even international sites. They are not screened by NACE, and may or may not be screened by University Career Center staff.
We recommend that Careers4Terps users not disclose social security numbers, credit card numbers, or bank account numbers to unknown employers and never spend any of their own money to obtain a position unless they are certain it is for a legitimate reason.
The University and the University Career Center staff cannot be held responsible and/or liable for any damages, real or imagined, past, present or future, from the information contained in postings on the Careers4Terps website or from responding to requests from those postings to the Careers4Terps website.
Changing Your Information
Here's how to review or change your personal profile information (address, home phone, e-mail):
- On the Web – Log in to Careers4Terps and click your address, phone, or email to edit.
- In Person – Visit the University Career Center at 3100 Hornbake Library, South Wing, College Park, MD 20742.
- By Phone – Call us at 301.314.7225.