Trying to find out about industries and career opportunities that may be potential “next careers” involves gathering information and perhaps even doing some volunteering! Potential resources include:
- Attend a Career Center event.
- Take FOCUS 2, an online career assessment tool that is free to UMD alumni. See what career possibilities exist out there.
- Contact the University of Maryland Counseling Center. For $125, alumni can receive up to five sessions, inlcuding intake and career assessment. For more information go to the Counseling Center website or call 301.314.7651.
- Sign-up for My Career Expert, a special, free resource for UMD alumni. Here you can tune in to weekly, live webinars which feature Q & A; visit their library of past webinars and articles and receive a bi-weekly, short motivational email that will inform you of upcoming webinars.
- Vault provides access to in-depth profiles of over 100 industries, rankings of top companies, employee ratings and reviews, industry-specific career guides and job and internship listings.
- Visit your local One-Stop Career Center. Each county in Maryland, as well as other states, has a center dedicated to local residents. For counties in Maryland.
- Visit the Professional Outplacement Assistance Center in Laurel, Maryland, if you are from Maryland. They serve the entire state of Maryland and host a free 2-day workshop (JumpStart) which provides invaluable assistance in the full process.
If you are within one year of graduation, you are treated as if you are still a student. You can attend and participate in all our programs and services, except for a few, such as – Intern for a Day Program or Career Shuttles. You may also choose to meet briefly with a Career Center staff member. Log into Careers4Terps and select a staff member according to your college/school affiliation.
If you graduated more than one year ago, you can schedule a single 30-minute appointment to provide guidance on next steps. Again, log into our Careers4Terps and select the staff member responsible for Alumni Connections. Please note, Alumni from the following schools should contact those schools directly:
A. James Clark School of Engineering
Veronica Perrigan | firstname.lastname@example.org | 301.405.3863