Intern For a Day
Intern for a Day
The University Career Center's popular Intern for a Day program connects UMD students with alumni, parents, and employers for in-person job shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experiences to explore potential career fields. After participating in a mandatory orientation and completing an application, University Career Center staff match you with an employer of interest for a half- or full-day job shadowing experience or a virtual informational interview.
Intern for a Day Host List and Mandatory Orientation for Students
Fall 2022 Host List
Mandatory Orientation NOW OPEN through October 9th, 2022
Participating in orientation for Intern for a Day is mandatory in order to participate in Intern for a Day, even if you've completed an orientation in a previous semester. For the Fall 2022 semester, the only orientation offered is a virtual orientation through ELMS. Most questions about the program will be addressed in the mandatory orientation. Other questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RSVP for Virtual Orientation and Add to Your ELMS Page
- Please click on the image below or follow this link to add the mandatory orientation to your ELMS: https://umd-ucc.catalog.instructure.com/courses/intern-for-a-day-mandatory-orientation-fall-2022
- The orientation will be open for approximately two weeks and will should take you about 30-45 minutes to complete. Orientation must be completed by Sunday, October 9th, 2022 at 11:59pm.
Intern for a Day Fall 2022 Timeline for Students
1. Virtual Orientation via ELMS will open on Monday, September 26th by 5pm.
- Visit this page between Monday, September 26, 2022 and Sunday, October 9th, 2022 to enroll in the mandatory online orientation. The Intern for a Day orientation will then be connected to your ELMS account.
- Virtual orientation will be open until 11:59pm on Sunday, October 9th
- The virtual orientation can be completed at your own pace anytime between Monday, September 26th and Sunday, October 9th.
- Virtual orientation should take about 30-45 minutes to complete and it does not have to be completed all at once.
- Virtual orientation is mandatory to participate in Intern for a Day and is the only orientation option being offered this semester. This is true even if you have participated in Intern for a Day in the past. The orientation will cover some additional material, including information relevant to this semester's iteration of Intern for a Day.
2. Intern for a Day applications will be sent to you on Monday, October 10th if you complete the virtual orientation requirement by 11:59pm on October 9th
- If you completed the virtual orientation and do not have the application sent to you by Tuesday, October 11th, please check your spam folder. If you've checked your spam folder and still do not have the application, please reach out to us at email@example.com and we can help you.
- If you have a special circumstance that caused you to miss the deadline to complete the virtual orientation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Intern for a Day applications are due Sunday, October 16th @ 11:59pm. We will not be able to accept late applications because we will begin the process of matching you with a host on Monday, October 17th.
- You can find the full host list either here or in the section above this one.
- On your application, please only preference hosts that you have an intention of meeting with
3. University Career Center staff will begin the process of matching applicants with hosts on Monday, October 17th
- We will do our best to match as many of you with your top preferred hosts as possible
- Due to the reality that many hosts are only able to connect with a small amount of you (1-3 people), we will unfortunately not be able to match everyone with their top preferences. This is why we ask you to provide your top 8 host preferences.
4. You will be contacted by the email@example.com email, connecting you with your host or notifying you that we were unable to match you this semester, in mid-to-late October
- We will connect you directly to the host you were matched with over email. It is up to you to connect with your host directly to schedule your in-person shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experience
- If we are unable to match you with a host (due to the # of student applicants exceeding the amount of host spaces available), we will make sure to follow up with you
5. Complete your in-person shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experience by the end of the Winter Session (January 23, 2023) if possible
- We will also send you a feedback form for you to tell us about your experience with Intern for a Day in Fall 2022
For Employers Interested in Hosting Students Intern for a Day
Host registration for Intern for a Day Fall 2022 closed on Friday, September, 9th, 2022. Spring 2023 host registration will open sometime in January 2023.
If you are an employer who is interested in participating in Intern for a Day, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your interest in order to be added to our email list and to receive the host registration form (if we are actively registering hosts at that time—otherwise, you will be contacted the next time we are registering hosts).
Click here for the Intern for a Day Host Guide, which is regularly updated and features information about the purpose of the program as well as information that can support you as you plan to host UMD students for job shadowing opportunities!
Here’s what the typical timeline looks like for Intern for a Day in the Fall and Spring semesters:
Fall Intern for a Day General Timeline
July-Sept: Host registration is open
Early/Mid-Oct: Students complete a mandatory orientation on workplace etiquette, program logistics, and more
Mid/Late Oct: Students apply and rank order their top hosts of interest
Late Oct/Early Nov: University Career Center staff match students with hosts & notify both parties
Nov-Jan: Intern for a Day experience takes place! Students and hosts determine the day that works best with their schedules for the shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experience.
Spring Intern for a Day General Timeline
Dec/Jan-Feb: Host registration is open
Mid/Late Feb: Students complete a mandatory orientation on workplace etiquette, program logistics, and more
Early Mar: Students apply and rank order their top hosts of interest
Early/Mid-Mar: University Career Center staff match students with hosts & notify both parties
Mar-May: Intern for a Day experience takes place! Students and hosts determine the day that works best with their schedules for the shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experience.