Intern For a Day
What is Intern for a Day?
The University Career Center's popular Intern for a Day program connects undergraduate UMD students with professionals (including alumni, parents/family members, and other off-campus partners) for in-person job shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experiences to explore potential career fields of interest. After participating in a mandatory orientation and completing an application, University Career Center staff match you with an professional of interest for a half- or full-day job shadowing experience or a virtual informational interview.
Please note: Intern for a Day is not currently available for UMD graduate students.
Intern for a Day Spring 2024
For Fall 2023, we were able to match 333 students with job shadowing experiences and informational interviews!
Intern for a Day will return in Spring 2024! Check out the timeline and details below.
Mandatory orientation for Spring 2024's Intern for a Day program is now open!
This orientation offering is fully virtual and must be completed before Sun, Feb 25 @ 11:59pm in order to receive access to the application. All details will be provided in the orientation.
Students will have access to the mandatory online orientation here when it becomes available for Spring 2024 on Mon, Feb 12 and closes on Sun, Feb 25, 2024. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Intern for a Day Spring 2024 Timeline for Students
Are you unsure about how to participate in Intern for a Day? Please refer to the following timeline to learn what's required of you to participate, step-by-step.
Orientation via ELMS for Spring 2024 Intern for a Day will be open starting Mon, Feb 12 and will close on Sun, Feb 25, 2024!
- Students can now enroll in Intern for a Day's Spring 2024 mandatory virtual orientation.
- Virtual orientation will be open until 11:59pm on Sunday, Feb 25 and is hosted through ELMS/Canvas.
- The virtual orientation can be completed at your own pace anytime between Monday, February 12 and Sunday, February 25.
- Virtual orientation should take about 30-45 minutes to complete and it does not have to be completed all at once.
- Orientation is mandatory to participate in Intern for a Day. This is true even if you have participated in Intern for a Day in the past. The orientation will cover some additional material, including information relevant to this semester's iteration of Intern for a Day.
Intern for a Day applications will be sent to you on Monday, February 26 if you complete the virtual orientation requirement by 11:59pm on February 25th.
- If you completed the virtual orientation and do not have the application sent to you by Tuesday, February 27, please check your spam folder. If you've checked your spam folder and still do not have the application, please reach out to us at email@example.com and we can help you.
- If you have a special circumstance that caused you to miss the deadline to complete orientation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- Intern for a Day applications are due by Sunday, March 3 @ 11:59pm. We will not be able to accept late applications because we will begin matching applicants with a host on Monday, March 4.
- You will be able to view the available hosts in the image above by no later than Fri, Feb 9.
- On your application, please only preference hosts that you have an intention of meeting with.
University Career Center staff will begin the process of matching applicants with hosts on Monday, March 4.
- We will do our best to match as many of you with your top preferred hosts as possible.
- Due to the reality that many hosts are only able to connect with a small amount of you (1-3 people), we will unfortunately not be able to match everyone with their top preferences. This is why we ask you to provide your top 8 host preferences.
You will be contacted by through email, connecting you with your host or notifying you that we were unable to match you this semester in early March before spring break.
- We will connect you directly to the host you were matched with over email. It is up to you to connect with your host directly to schedule your in-person shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experience.
- If we are unable to match you with a host (due to the # of student applicants exceeding the amount of host spaces available), we will make sure to follow up with you.
Complete your in-person shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experience by the end of the spring semester (May 17, 2024) if possible
- We will also send you a feedback form for you to tell us about your experience with Intern for a Day in Spring 2024.
For Professionals Interested in Hosting Intern for a Day Students
Host registration for Intern for a Day in Spring 2024 is now closed.
If you are a professional interested in participating in Intern for a Day as a host, please reach out to email@example.com indicating your interest in order to be added to our email list and to receive the host registration form.
Click here for the Intern for a Day Host Guide, which is regularly updated and features information about the purpose of the program as well as information that can support you as you plan to host UMD students for job shadowing and informational interviewing opportunities!
Intern for a Day General Timelines
Here’s what the typical timeline looks like for Intern for a Day in the Fall and Spring semesters in case you'd like to plan for future semesters. We will always list the current semester's IFAD dates for students and hosts in the sections above.
Fall Intern for a Day General Timeline
July-Sept: Host registration is open
Early/Mid-Oct: Students complete a mandatory orientation on workplace etiquette, program logistics, and more
Mid/Late Oct: Students apply and rank order their top hosts of interest
Late Oct/Early Nov: University Career Center staff match students with hosts & notify both parties
Nov-Jan: Intern for a Day experience takes place! Students and hosts determine the day that works best with their schedules for the shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experience.
Spring Intern for a Day General Timeline
Dec/Jan-Feb: Host registration is open
Mid/Late Feb: Students complete a mandatory orientation on workplace etiquette, program logistics, and more
Early Mar: Students apply and rank order their top hosts of interest
Early/Mid-Mar: University Career Center staff match students with hosts & notify both parties
Mar-May: Intern for a Day experience takes place! Students and hosts determine the day that works best with their schedules for the shadowing or virtual informational interviewing experience.