Looking for a job? Check out our job search plan and check list HERE.
Step One: Target your search
- Assess your skills, interests, strengths, values and qualifications.
- Research your industry of interest using the Occupational Outlook Handbook, Vault or Career Center Industry Guides to get a better understanding of potential career paths.
- Develop a list of potential organizations and industries of interest.
Step Two: Get yourself out there
- Network, network, network! Tell everyone you know - parents, friends, faculty, former supervisors - about your career interests and the types of opportunities you are seeking.
- Connect with UMD almuni using Terrapins Connect and the LinkedIn tool.
- Attend events - career fairs, networking events and other employer sessions to expand your network and connect with companies that are hiring.
Step Three: Search online
- Search for positions in Careers4Terps by using the advanced search options. Employers post hundreds of new positions weekly that are targeted especially for UMD students and alumni. This short guide can help you navigate Careers4Terps (you may need to refresh the page in the new tab this links to). You may also wish to look at this video overview of Careers4Terps as well.
- Identify other industry-specific job boards or social media sites related to your career interest.
- Consider participation in the On-campus Interview (OCI) program.
- Apply, apply, apply! You've done all your homework, now it's time to submit your applications.
- Follow-up. After every informational interview or actual interview, be sure to send a thank you note.
Step Four: Make yourself a competitive applicant
- Update and tailor your resume and cover letter documents to the position you are applying for.
- Use Jobscan to optimize your resume and boost your interview chances.
- Schedule a job search appointment with a member of the Center staff.
- Practice interviewing.
Step Five: Start your search!
- Schedule time each week for your job search.
- Dream big - go for your dream first job!
- Be realistic - your first job is your first step in your career path.
- Breathe. Job searching is stressful, but you won't be unemployed for the rest of your life!
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.