Looking for a job? Check out our job search plan and check list HERE.
Step One: Target your search
- Assess your skills, interests, strengths, values and qualifications.
- Research your industry of interest using the Occupational Outlook Handbook, Vault or Career Center Industry Guides to get a better understanding of potential career paths.
- Develop a list of potential organizations and industries of interest.
Step Two: Get yourself out there
- Network, network, network! Tell everyone you know - parents, friends, faculty, former supervisors - about your career interests and the types of opportunities you are seeking.
- Connect with UMD almuni using Terrapins Connect and the LinkedIn tool.
- Attend events - career fairs, networking events and other employer sessions to expand your network and connect with companies that are hiring.
Step Three: Search online
- Search for positions in Careers4Terps by using the advanced search options. Employers post hundreds of new positions weekly that are targeted especially for UMD students and alumni.
- Identify other industry-specific job boards or social media sites related to your career interest.
- Consider participation in the On-campus Interview (OCI) program.
- Apply, apply, apply! You've done all your homework, now it's time to submit your applications.
- Follow-up. After every informational interview or actual interview, be sure to send a thank you note.
Step Four: Make yourself a competitive applicant
- Update and tailor your resume and cover letter documents to the position you are applying for.
- Use Jobscan to optimize your resume and boost your interview chances.
- Schedule a job search appointment with a member of the Center staff.
- Practice interviewing.
Step Five: Start your search!
- Schedule time each week for your job search.
- Dream big - go for your dream first job!
- Be realistic - your first job is your first step in your career path.
- Breathe. Job searching is stressful, but you won't be unemployed for the rest of your life!
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.