Financing Your Internship
There are scholarship opportunities available through campus and off-campus to help fund unpaid internships.
Bright Futures Initiative: 'Unpaid Internship' Scholarship Fund
The summer 2022 application is now closed. Check back in spring 2023 about next summer's scholarship!
The Bright Futures Initiative awards students with need-based scholarships ranging from $100-$1,000 to help offset expenses incurred during unpaid internships. Scholarships are generously funded by the Eisen Family, the University Career Center & The President’s Promise, and individual donors through Maryland Giving Day.
If you are interested in financially contributing to the Bright Futures Initiative, please visit brightfutures.umd.edu.
Other Scholarships Available for Unpaid Internships Through University of Maryland:
- ARH-U Ready & Foxworth Scholarships: Contact Kate Juhl (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- BSOS Undergraduate Experience Funds
- School of Public Health Scholarship Fund for experiential learning
- Gilman International Scholarship for international internships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- UMD Education Abroad Scholarships for international internships
- Summer Research Scholarships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- Division of Student Affairs Scholarships
External to University of Maryland:
- BA Women's Alliance, for educational, personal, and professional development of women
- Jeffrey A. McLean Foundation, for economically challenged college students to participate in unpaid internships
- Conference on Asian Pacific American Leadership (CAPAL), Public Service Scholarship program
Check professional associations in your field(s) of interest to see if they offer awards or scholarships for students