Bright Futures Initiative: 'Unpaid Internship' Scholarship Fund
The Bright Futures Summer 2020 Application Will be Available on Monday, April 6, 2020
Deadline to apply: Monday, April 27, 2020
The Bright Futures Initiative awards students with need-based scholarships ranging from $100-$1,000 to help offset expenses incurred during unpaid internships. Scholarships are generously funded by the Eisen Family, the University Career Center & The President’s Promise, the University of Maryland Parents Association and individual donors through Maryland Giving Day. If you are interested in financially contributing to the Bright Futures Initiative, please visit brightfutures.umd.edu.
If you are an undergraduate student who has secured an unpaid summer internship with a non-profit organization or government agency, you are eligible to apply. Additional eligibility details are provided below.
All registered University of Maryland, College Park undergraduate students returning to campus for the fall 2020 semester, who have an unpaid internship for summer 2020, are eligible to apply. Graduating seniors are not eligible. Preference will be given to juniors and seniors graduating in December. Preference will also be given to those who have not previously received this scholarship.
In order for your internship to qualify for funding support, it must satisfy the following criteria:
- Unpaid on-campus or off-campus internship with a non-profit organization or government agency.
- Offered during summer 2020 and completed by the start of the fall 2020 semester.
- Supervised by a professional in the field.
If you have immediate questions about the Bright Futures application process, contact:
Program Director, Internships
At this time, Bright Futures scholarships are only available for unpaid summer internships.
If you are interested in financially contributing to the Bright Futures Initiative, please visit brightfutures.umd.edu.
Other Scholarships Available for
Through University of Maryland:
- ARH-U Ready Internship Scholarship: Contact Kate Juhl (email@example.com)
- BSOS Undergraduate Experience Funds
- School of Public Health Scholarship Fund for experiential learning
- Gilman International Scholarship for international internships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- UMD Education Abroad Scholarships for international internships
- Summer Research Scholarships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- Division of Student Affairs Scholarships
External to University of Maryland:
- BA Women's Alliance, for educational, personal, and professional development of women
- Jeffrey A. McLean Foundation, for economically challenged college students to participate in unpaid internships
- Conference on Asian Pacific American Leadership (CAPAL), Public Service Scholarship program
Check professional associations in your field(s) of interest to see if they offer awards or scholarships for students