Bright Futures Initiative: 'Unpaid Internship' Scholarship Fund
Summer 2021 Application is Now Closed.
Information about Summer 2022 will be provided at a later date.
The Bright Futures Initiative awards students with need-based scholarships ranging from $100-$1,000 to help offset expenses incurred during unpaid internships. Scholarships are generously funded by the Eisen Family, the University Career Center & The President’s Promise, and individual donors through Maryland Giving Day.
If you are an undergraduate student who has secured an unpaid summer internship with a non-profit organization or government office, you are eligible to apply. Additional eligibility details for summer 2022 internships will be provided at a later date.
Should a student participate in-person at an internship site, then adherence to current state and local COVID-19 directives, and CDC guidelines is required. Also, should such a student elect to continue in-person at the internship, it is done at the student's own risk.
If you are interested in financially contributing to the Bright Futures Initiative, please visit brightfutures.umd.edu.
Other Scholarships Available for Unpaid Internships
Through University of Maryland:
- ARH-U Ready & Foxworth Scholarships: Contact Kate Juhl (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- BSOS Undergraduate Experience Funds
- School of Public Health Scholarship Fund for experiential learning
- Gilman International Scholarship for international internships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- UMD Education Abroad Scholarships for international internships
- Summer Research Scholarships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- Division of Student Affairs Scholarships
External to University of Maryland:
- BA Women's Alliance, for educational, personal, and professional development of women
- Jeffrey A. McLean Foundation, for economically challenged college students to participate in unpaid internships
- Conference on Asian Pacific American Leadership (CAPAL), Public Service Scholarship program
Check professional associations in your field(s) of interest to see if they offer awards or scholarships for students