Bright Futures Initiative: 'Unpaid Internship' Scholarship Fund
Apply for the Bright Futures 'Unpaid Internship' Scholarship here.
Deadline to Apply: Monday, April 26, 2021
The Bright Futures Initiative awards students with need-based scholarships ranging from $100-$1,000 to help offset expenses incurred during unpaid internships. Scholarships are generously funded by the Eisen Family, the University Career Center & The President’s Promise, and individual donors through Maryland Giving Day.
If you are an undergraduate student who has secured an unpaid summer 2021 internship with a non-profit organization or government office, you are eligible to apply. Additional eligibility details are provided below.
All registered University of Maryland, College Park undergraduate students returning to campus for the fall 2021 semester, who have an unpaid internship for summer 2021, are eligible to apply. Graduating seniors are not eligible. Preference will be given to juniors and seniors graduating in December. Preference will also be given to those who have not previously received this scholarship.
In order for your internship to qualify for funding support, it must satisfy the following criteria:
- Unpaid on-campus or off-campus internship with a non-profit organization or government agency.
- Offered during summer 2021 and completed by the start of the fall 2021 semester.
- Supervised by a professional in the field.
- Our Supervisor Agreement form completed and submitted by your internship supervisor. Download & save this document onto your computer - do not fill out in the web browser or it will not save properly.
Should a student participate in-person at an internship site, then adherence to current state and local COVID-19 directives, and CDC guidelines is required. Also, should such a student elect to continue in-person at the internship, it is done at the student's own risk.
If you have questions about the Bright Futures application process, contact:
University Career Center & The President's Promise
At this time, Bright Futures scholarships are only available for unpaid summer internships.
If you are interested in financially contributing to the Bright Futures Initiative, please visit brightfutures.umd.edu.
Other Scholarships Available for Unpaid Internships
Through University of Maryland:
- ARH-U Ready Internship Scholarship: Contact Kate Juhl (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- BSOS Undergraduate Experience Funds
- School of Public Health Scholarship Fund for experiential learning
- Gilman International Scholarship for international internships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- UMD Education Abroad Scholarships for international internships
- Summer Research Scholarships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- Division of Student Affairs Scholarships
External to University of Maryland:
- BA Women's Alliance, for educational, personal, and professional development of women
- Jeffrey A. McLean Foundation, for economically challenged college students to participate in unpaid internships
- Conference on Asian Pacific American Leadership (CAPAL), Public Service Scholarship program
Check professional associations in your field(s) of interest to see if they offer awards or scholarships for students