Consulting, Finance, Operations and Entrepreneurship
No matter the function, roles within this cluster seek to apply business acumen to the art and science of offering a product or service to clients and customers. Career paths within this cluster include consulting, finance, operational roles and entrepreneurship.
Where UMD Alumni Have Worked or Interned
Info from graduation survey
Accenture, Amazon, Morgan Stanley, Deloitte, Meta, Goldman Sachs, Google, Hamilton Place Strategies, Capital One, Advisory Board, Fannie Mae, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CPFB)
Career options if you have a...
Business Analyst, Compliance Analyst, Project Manager, Financial Analyst, Budget Analyst, Consultant, HR Manager/Generalist, Employee Training Specialist, Recruiter, Client Relations Specialist, Account Manager/Executive, Investment Banking Analyst, Entrepreneur
Management Consultant, Financial Manager, Operations Management, Venture Capitalist, Entrepreneur
C-level Executive, Economist, Professor, Director of Human Resources
Firsthand Career Guides
- Consulting Jobs
- Insurance Jobs
- Economics Jobs
- Investment Banking Jobs
- Human Resources Jobs
- Real Estate Jobs
Consulting, Finance, Operations and Entrepreneurship Careers on YouTube
Ways to Gain Experience
January 11, 2024 - to November 11, 2024
Interested in applying to Morgan Stanley’s First Year Enhancement Program (FEP)? Please join us for an FEP Resume and HireVue Workshop in partnership with Morgan Stanley’s Institute for Inclusion (IFI) on Thursday, January 11th from 5:30pm - 7pm ET!View Event Details for Meet Morgan Stanley: Firmwide Virtual Presentation
February 12, 2024 - to March 19, 2024
BCG Accelerate is a virtual series that runs from mid-February to mid-March that provides current advanced degree candidates with an exclusive look into BCG and the journey to becoming a BCG Consultant.View Event Details for BCG Accelerate - Rolling Registration
February 20, 2024
Come to our information table and take the first step in becoming a FASTie! A FASTie? Yes, a FASTie.View Event Details for Fast Enterprises Info Tabling
Tips for Finding a Job & Internship
- Recruiting timelines for finance and consulting are on accelerated timelines. You can expect to apply for an internship as early as a year in advance. Full-time hiring often will take place early in the fall prior to spring graduation. These organizations are active on campus, so pay attention to the events calendar and campus career fairs for opportunities to connect and apply.
- Preparation for the consulting interviews is essential. Many consulting firms utilize the case interview, to assess your critical thinking, business acumen and communications skills. There are a wealth of resources available in addition to those organizations might offer.
- Interpersonal skills are critical in these fields. Thus, while have technical knowledge and business acumen is also important, take advantage of opportunities to demonstrate leadership, hone public speaking skills and get comfortable interacting with a diverse array of people.
- Stay up to date on the news and current events within these industries. The Wall Street Journal is a great resource and is free via UMD libraries. Many of the organizations are also active on LinkedIn and it is a great way to remain current.
- Have a start-up idea or want support building your entrepreneurial capacity? There are variety of campus resources