Health and Sciences
Health and Sciences encompasses a wide variety of career options with high employment needs.
Healthcare is expanding rapidly and with an ever-increasing elderly population, the demand for qualified health care and medical professionals is not likely to decrease in the near future. Healthcare occupations range from medical doctors to dental hygienists to health care administrators.
Community health professionals are frontline public health workers who have a close understanding of communities they serve. They work to build individual and community relationships by increasing health knowledge through a range of activities such as outreach, community education, informal counseling, social support and advocacy.
Where UMD Alumni Have Worked or Interned
Info from graduation survey
CareFirst, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Children’s National, Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Kaiser Permanente, MedStar Health, National Institutes of Health
Career options if you have a...
- Agricultural & Food Scientist
- Biological Technicians
- Care or Case Worker
- Chemists and Materials Scientists
- Community Health Outreach Worker
- Conservation Scientists
- Environmental Scientists and Specialists
- Health Advocate
- HIV/AIDS Educator
- Humanitarian Response Manager
- Public Health Advisor
- Refugee Coordinator
- Wildlife Biologists
- Women’s Health Specialist
- Anthropologists and Archeologists
- Healthcare Administrator
- Healthcare Social Worker
- Physician Assistant
- Physical Therapist
- Social and Community Service Manager
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Medical Scientists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
Firsthand Career Guides
Requires login to Firsthand.
Health and Sciences Careers on YouTube
Ways to Gain Experience
Connect with Alumni in Terrapins Connect
Tips for Finding a Job & Internship
- If you have pre-health career interests, including the goal of attending medical or dental school, it is highly encouraged that you connect with the Reed-Yorke Health Professions Advising Office as early into your time at UMD as possible.
- Subscribe to the Health Professions Advising Office list-serv to learn about clinical opportunities, student pre-health societies, internships, and much more.
- Most of this industry’s internships are unpaid or low paying; being a medical scribe is a great way to gain experience and get paid in a part time capacity. Traditional hiring processes exist. You will apply and then be interviewed over the phone, followed by an in-person interview.
- If interested in research, connect with the Maryland Center for Undergraduate Research on campus.
- Don’t rely on job postings on job boards to find internships or jobs in health and sciences. Research the organizations, hospitals, and clinics you would most like to work for and go on their websites to learn more about potential internship and job openings. Reach out to them directly if you do not see information about internships and jobs on their website.
March 29, 2023
Foreign Service Medical Careers - Virtual Information Session
The University of Maryland School of Public Health and The University Career Center will host the US State Department for a virtual information session to discuss FOREIGN SERVICE MEDICAL CAREERS Wednesday, March 29, 2023 5 pm Join to learn from the below panelists:View Event Details for Foreign Service Medical Careers - Virtual Information Session
March 30, 2023
GEOG Spring Career & Internship Fair
Public, private, and non-profit organizations attend this event to fill internship and full-time positions, as well as network with undergraduate and graduate students. All majors, degree levels, and alumni are welcome to attend.View Event Details for GEOG Spring Career & Internship Fair
April 4, 2023
How to Prepare for Medical/Dental School Interviews
This workshop is tailored to students and alumni who are preparing for medical or dental school interviews and will be applicants in the 2024 cycle.View Event Details for How to Prepare for Medical/Dental School Interviews